NBC's The Office is one of my favorite shows to watch at the end of the day if there's time to unwind. Luckily, all nine seasons are available on Netflix through 2020. As a compliance professional, I can't help gleaning some valuable compliance Do's and Don'ts while watching Michael Scott. Join me on July 21 for a free webinar: Compliance Lessons from NBC's The Office.
Here's a few of the lessons we will discuss:
- When an employee commits a serious compliance violation, don't look the other way because you really like the person.
- Thank employees when they do something great.
- Be consistent with discipline - use a standardized system.
- Don't celebrate a lack of compliance reports or audit findings.
- Respect your employees by keeping the complaints confidential.
While we can't play clips fro The Office during the webinar due to copyright reasons, here are the episodes we will discuss:
- Season 1, Episode 3: Healthcare
- Season 2, Episode 1: The Dundies
- Season 2, Episode 2: Sexual Harassment
- Season 2, Episode 15: Boys and Girls
- Season 2, Episode 21: Conflict Resolution
- Season 4, Episode 3: Launch Party
- Season 5, Episode 3: Business Ethics
July 21 at 10 a.m CST: Compliance Lessons from NBC's The Office:
While this webinar is based on a TV comedy, I assure you we will cover lots of serious compliance lessons! There is much to learn about compliance culture - good and bad - from Michael Scott.