Margaret C. Scavotto, JD, CHC
- Helps providers design, implement and manage customized compliance programs to maximize compliance with complex and evolving requirements
- Develops policies and procedures, training programs and audit tools to improve processes and operational outcomes
- Leads seminars on compliance program development and implementation for nursing home administrators and staff
- Provides updates on breaking changes in health care regulation
Margaret Scavotto, JD, CHC develops compliance programs for health care providers. She helps health care clients design, implement and manage customized compliance programs to maximize quality and billing accuracy. Ms. Scavotto uses risk assessments, policies and procedures, training programs, audit tools and culture campaigns to improve processes and operational outcomes.
Ms. Scavotto has spoken on compliance for LeadingAge, the National Association of Rural Health Centers, LeadingAge Illinois, LeadingAge Missouri, the Illinois Health Care Association, the Senior Living Forum, the Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network, and the Illinois Nursing Home Administrators Association, among others.
Before joining MPA, she represented long-term care facilities, hospitals, and other health care providers. Ms. Scavotto advised clients on how to comply with HIPAA and other regulatory requirements, and developed policies and procedures. She drafted certificate of need applications and represented applicants in state administrative hearings. She drafted and negotiated purchase contracts for a multi-hospital group purchasing organization, drafted and negotiated professional service contracts and employment contracts for health care providers, and drafted policies and bylaws for health care entities. Ms. Scavotto also represented nurses and social workers before state licensing agencies.
When practicing law, Ms. Scavotto devoted considerable time to pro bono work, serving as counsel to a local clinic serving indigent children, and securing a certificate of need for a not-for-profit children’s hospital.
Ms. Scavotto served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Kenneth M. Romines on the Missouri Court of Appeals. Ms. Scavotto received her BA (Political Science) from Kenyon College; and a JD from Washington University in St. Louis. Ms. Scavotto is certified in healthcare compliance (CHC).
Education and Credentials
- Juris Doctor, Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Kenyon College
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance
- HIPAA Alert: Forgotten Physical Safeguards Lead to Stolen Records, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, August 23, 2017
- Selfie Time: What Could Go Wrong? published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, August 17, 2017
- Tweet, Tweet: Resident Abuse Takes a New, and Dangerous, Form, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, August 22, 2016
- Why Your Compliance Officer Should Talk About Texting, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, July 26, 2016
- HIPAA Alert: Is Your Compliance Officer's Head In The Cloud?, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, July 20, 2016
- HIPAA Alert: First Settlement with a Business Associate, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, July 14, 2016
- False Claims Act Penalties Double, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, July 11, 2016
- Feds Told to Clean Up Poor Documentation, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, June 9, 2016
- Compliance Culture Building Blocks Blog Series, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, 2015-2016
- HIPAA Hazard: the $750,000 Business Associate Agreement, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, April 22, 2016
- The OCR Announces a New Round of HIPAA Audits! Are You Ready?, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, March 25, 2016
- HIPAA Compliance: What You Need to Know for 2016, published on the Compliance and Ethics Blog, February 8, 2016
- The Top 5 Social Media Posts Your Privacy Officer Fears Most, published on the Compliance and Ethics blog, November 12, 2015 (Ranked 6th most popular blog post in 2015)
- Red hot PEPPERs: Why agencies should access the new home health billing tool this summer, HCPro Homecare DIRECTION, Vol. 23, No. 4, 2015 (quoted).
- State Healthcare Privacy Laws Survey, American Health Lawyers Association, 2013 (author, Missouri portion).
Recent and Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- “Social Media Snafus,” Trinity Risk Solutions Webinar, May 2, 2017
- Compliance Officer Workshop, Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network, Springfield, IL, April 27, 2017
- “PEPPER Deciphered,” Trinity Risk Solutions Webinar, March 28, 2017
- ProviderTrust Webinar, Great, You Have a Compliance Program, Now What?, June 23, 2016
- “Hidden HIPAA Weaknesses: How to Tackle Them and Prevent a Breach,” LeadingAge MO Annual Conference, September 13, 2016
- Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network, Compliance: What's New?, Webinar, October 6, 2016
- Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network, Compliance Workshop, Springfield, IL, May 26, 2016
- Affordable Assisted Living Coalition, HIPAA Hazards and How to Avoid Them, Springfield, IL May 17, 2016
- National Association of Rural Health Centers Conference, Top HIPAA Hazards and How to Avoid Them, St. Louis, Oct. 29, 2015
- Missouri Association of Nursing Home Administrators, Compliance & HIPAA Workshop, St. Charles, MO, Oct. 27, 2015
- LeadingAge Missouri, Compliance Conundrums and Legal Landmines, St. Louis, MO, September 2, 2015
- Missouri Assisted Living Association, The Inevitable Data Breach: Are You Prepared? St. Louis, MO, April 21, 2015
- Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network, Compliance Workshop, April 15, 2015, Springfield, IL
- LeadingAge Annual Meeting, October 19-22, 2014, Cultivating a Culture of Compliance
- Illinois Health Care Association Convention, September 9-11, 2014, Compliance Updates: Are You at Risk?
- Illinois Nursing Home Administrators Association Conference, March 19-20, 2014, Using PEPPER to Spice Up Your Compliance Program and Avoid Costly Mistakes
- Life Services Network of Illinois Webinar, February 26, 2014, How You Can Advance Your Compliance Effort – Now.
- LeadingAge Missouri Webinar, February 18, 2014: What PEPPER Means for You and Your Compliance Effort
- Life Services Network of Illinois Webinar, February 12, 2014, The Real Price of Waiting to Comply
- LeadingAge Missouri Compliance Workshops, 2012-2013
- Life Services Network of Illinois Annual Meeting and Exhibition, May 2-4, 2012: Achieving Quality of Care and Financial Success in Long Term Care Facilities with Effective Compliance Programs
- Illinois Nursing Home Administrators Association March 15, 2012: Achieving Quality of Care and Financial Success in Long Term Care Facilities with Effective Compliance Programs
- Served as law clerk for The Hon. Kenneth M. Romines, Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District
Health Care Attorney
- Represented clients before Missouri Health Facilities Review Committee
- Won dozens of Certificate of Need approvals for hospitals and long term care facilities
- Developed policies, procedures and bylaws for health care providers
- Drafted and negotiated professional service and employment contracts
- Interpreted and applied HIPAA, HITECH, RAC and other compliance/privacy law and regulation
- Represented licensed nurses before the Missouri Board of Nursing
- Drafted and negotiated multi-hospital group purchasing agreements
- Trained provider teams in contract negotiation strategies
- Provided pro bono legal counsel to local health care institution serving children
314-394-2222 ext. 24 • [email protected]