Health care providers are now the #1 target in an era of unprecedented cyber attacks. And yet half of health care organizations doubt their HIPAA breach detection capabilities.
According to the Ponemon Institute's Fifth Annual Benchmark Study on Privacy and Security of Healthcare Data, the health care industry has become hackers' favorite target. The facts are alarming:
- More than 90% of providers experienced a data breach
- Criminal attacks are up 125% in the past 5 years
- The #1 cause of cyber attacks is criminal activity
- 40% of providers had 5+ breaches in the last 2 years
- The average cost per breach is $2.1 Million
What's your defense?
According to the Ponemon Institute:
- 69% of breaches are found in a self-audit
- 44% of breaches were detected by an employee
- 30% of breaches were noted in a patient complaint
- 23% of breaches were discovered accidentally
Would you know if you were the target of a cyber attack targeting your PHI? Would you find out accidentally, or from a patient complaint? Or through the use of pro-active internal audits?